Tuesday 11 February 2014

Card Making and Creepers

I rarely buy cards now, normally I make them.  Sadly this doesn't take me any less time.  However, it does mean that I can create one fairly quickly even when the shops are shut.  Handy if you need one for a birthday right away.

I decided some time ago that taking an hour to make a card was kind of pointless, so you'll notice my cards don't tend to look perfect.  That's the charm of home made stuff!

My latest fave design is very minimal:


I love it because it will work with any shape.  You could use stickers too.  I mainly use paper punch shapes - as I appear to be addicted to buying them and I have a lot!


I've been working on another project too, another cushion cover.  I've always loved the designs made by quilters, but as I cannot sew with a sewing machine at all, I've never been able to see how I could create something like that.  Then just recently it came to me, I could use crochet squares.


So I started crocheting in the colours I needed and I kept going, and soon I had enough to make a start.


I don't sew well by hand either, so it is taking me time, but slowly, slowly,it is coming together.  I add a few squares each evening, and I think eventually it will be an eight by eight square of Minecraft Creeper awesomeness.  I've already mentioned that our family is Minecraft Mad at the moment, so I don't think anyone will object to this cushion cover once completed, in fact I have a horrible feeling that requests for more of the same will be made!

Despite the slow going sewing, I already want to do something more using this technique.  You can see that I am using a traditional Granny Square for this project, but the options for textured/patterned squares are endless.  I realised that any Minecraft project would be ideal for using Granny Squares because the game is based on squares too.  Whether I stick to Minecraft related square projects or branch out to something else has yet to be decided.


I'm still slowly sewing squares together, but hopefully it won't be too long before I can share this as a completed project.

2 comments:

  1. You are so great at coming up with original ideas. I love the idea of you patchwork cushion. I have been trying some machine quilting... it is so hard!!! I struggle getting the corners to match perfectly. I have made a mini quilt, and I mean mini, it is for my daughters teddy and it must have taken me at least six hours. A long way to go until I am qualified to make a large quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bet she loves it, that makes the 6hrs worthwhile. Despite the fact that I'm not attempting to machine sew this together it is very slow going. Fingers crossed it will be loved at the end of it.

    ReplyDelete